Friday, February 26, 2010

Box 'em up, toy storage

I really needed toy storage..(maybe I need to purge some toys too),
I wanted something that looked fun, went with the decor and was easy for the kiddos to put toys in.

So here is my solution...

I think the wooden boxes were a durable solution. The pictures and labels really make is easy for the kids to put the toys in the proper place... 

They are really easy to make and use very little materials.

What you'll need is:
wooden storage boxes
Mod Podge
acrylic paint to match decor
medium paint brushes
paint sponges
scissors
Pictures and words printed on plain computer paper


First you want to paint the boxes. I painted 3 coats to give a good cover
 and help extend the life of the finish

Leave the inside of the boxes unpainted, the in and out of the toys
will eventually scratch up the paint
While the boxes are drying, cut out the words and
coordinating pictures

Once dry you want to Mod Podge the words and pictures on the boxes
I Mod Podged the entire box on my 3rd coat to prevent the paint from scratching and chipping

Note: put a quick light first coat of Mod Podge over the paper or the ink will smudge


then all there is left to do is have your kids help you fill them with toys
and hope they want to do it all the time :-)

If nothing else they are a cute craft and and great way to get organized.


1 comment:

  1. Where can you get the materials, i.e., the wood cut-up to box sizes?

    I'm from Friday Follow. My blog is: www.cherrymischievous.com

    ReplyDelete